The cadet program is the largest federally sponsored youth program in Canada that includes the Royal Canadian Sea, Army, and Air Cadets. It is a national program for young Canadians aged 12 to 18 who are interested in participating in a variety of fun, challenging, and rewarding activities while learning about sea, army and air activities of the Canadian Forces.
Cadets are encouraged to be active, responsible members of their communities. They make valuable contributions to the Canadian society on a daily basis in terms of environmental, citizenship, and community activities.
Cadets also learn valuable life, and work skills such as teamwork, leadership, and citizenship.
About the 62 Phantom Air Cadet Squadron in Grimsby
The Royal Canadian Air Cadets, a component of the Canadian Cadet Organization, was established on April 1, 1941 on the authority of the National Defense Act, Section 43.
In the Hamilton area, which is well known for its Air Force history, as well as Air Cadet History during the war, there were three Air Cadet Squadrons, 62 Squadron, which paraded at Westdale Secondary School, along with 81 Squadron and 194 Squadron created a wing, which paraded approximately 400 Cadets in total.
Shortly following the war the squadrons were relocated to Mount Hope under the guidance of Wing Commander Smith.
For various reasons the Wing collapsed in the early 1950’s and the Air Force disbanded the remaining units. In 1959 Murray Grant reformed 62 Squadron. Col. Lynch and Bill May along with a few other major players in Hamilton picked up the challenge and 62 Squadron under Murray Grant grew and the numbers swelled, to the point where in 1961, 81 Squadron returned and in 1963, 194 Squadron returned. The numbers were once again in the 400’s as a result of the extraordinary efforts of Murray Grant, CO 62 Squadron.
It was determined that these squadrons move to HMCS Star as they were outgrowing their quarters. Once again there was not enough room at the Star and a decision was made in 1970-1971 to amalgamate 81 and 194 squadron to form 826 Gryffin Squadron, and under the command of Major Don Irish, 62 Squadron was renamed 150 Tiger Squadron. Both 826 and 150 Squadron both still parade at the Hamilton James Street Armories in Hamilton today.
In honour of Murray Grant, his efforts to keep the Air Cadet Movement alive, and the dedication of his staff, on August 23, 2005 under the command of Major Mike Boyle, assisted by LCol Don Irish Ret’d; we once again opened our doors and were granted the honour to open a new Air Cadet Squadron in Grimsby, Ontario and re-activate 62 Squadron Royal Canadian Air Cadets.
62 Phantom Squadron started with just 18 Cadets in September 2005, parading 32 members at its first annual review. As of June 2014 the Squadron has now grown to over 115 Cadets.
We now hold the proud title of being the largest Air, Army or Sea Cadet unit in the in the Hamilton Niagara Area.