Activities for the week ending Thursday May 2nd, 2019
1. FRIDAY 10 May 19 – Regular Parade Night
We continue with regular scheduled training as per the WRO portion of the Message of the week. Cadets are to pay attention to the dress change for this coming week.
NOTE LEVEL ONE CADETS: Level one cadets are in P/T Clothing
- Dress of the Day – Cadets – C-2B (No Tunic nor Tie)
- Officers – 3A
- CI/CV – Sqn Civilian Uniform
A copy of the squadron dress regulations can be found here.
Cadets are reminded that if they can make the parade night they are requested to call or text the squadron cell phone of their absence with who they are, date of absence and reason why. Phone
2. Range/Marksmanship Training Cancelled for the Remainder of the Cadet Training Year
Due to low numbers turning out the last couple of weeks, all Marksmanship/Range Training has been cancelled for the remainder of the cadet training year.
3. Squadron Turkey Shoot – Saturday 11 May 2019 (no live turkeys will be used during this event).
On Saturday 11 May 2019, the Training Staff will be bringing back a fun activity for cadets and parents as they team up to be the top shot during our Squadron Turkey Shoot. This Activity, which was cancelled for the last two years due to conflicts in the schedule, will once again allow cadets and parents bragging rights for the next year. The “Turkey Shoot” will comprise of 4 disciplines, Grouping Turkey Targets, Biathlon Targets, Mystery Turkey Shoot and Wii Sports electronic Turkey shoot game. Totals of all four will make up the winners. Unlike previous year’s where there was a $10 entry fee per team, in order to generate interest, there is no fee. A Warning Order for the event is attached to the WRO.
4. Warrant Officer Merit Review Boards – Postponed (maybe til September)
In discussion with Detachment staff, we may not be able to hold a WO2 or WO1 Board until September due in part to availability of Detachment staff. More to follow in the coming days.
5. Squadron Spring FTX – 24- 26 May 2019 – Military Skills Competition
The squadron is planning a Spring FTX 24-25 May 2019 where the cadets will compete in flights and apply the knowledge they have learned from the Fall FTX. This is the opportunity for those who missed the fall FTX to gain credit for their level requirements by attending this FTX. Staff are working on the Operations and Warning orders and more information will be published soon.
6. Gliding – Flying Famil – 12 May and 01 Jun 2019
The following cadets have been selected for Gliding this coming Sunday May 12 from 1130-1700hrs at the St. Catharines Airport:
Vanderkolk, Marcoux, Gardner, Vitali, Chorley X 2, Verrall L, Middaugh X 2, Quirk F, Bajwa X 2, Jankowski Jenn and Michelle, Bruns, Fry. Attached to the WRO cover is the Warning Order for Gliding. There are 4 more slots available for cadets; those interested are to email Major Leonard Directly. Parents of the above cadets we are in need of parent drivers to assist. If you are able, please email Major Leonard. The 01 Jun sign up list will be posted once again on Friday Night. Cadets interested are to ensure your name is on the list.
7. Annual Review and Annual Awards Banquet – Saturday 08 Jun 19
The biggest parade of the year will occur on Saturday 08 Jun 19 from 1330 -1600hrs at the Grimsby Peach King Centre with our 14th Anniversary Annual Ceremonial Review. This is the culmination of the cadet training year and is a mandatory parade for all cadets. A Warning Order for this date will be out shortly, however all cadets should plan on keeping their calendar clear for this date from 0830-0000hrs for both the Review and Awards Banquet. Official email invitations will be sent out shortly and we hope that all families can attend.
Please RSVP as instructed in the invite. The Year End Awards Banquet will occur immediately following the review at the MRCC from 1800hrs followed by a cadet dance until 0000hrs. Tickets for the Awards Banquet will go on sale shortly and will be available from the Squadron Support Committee.
Cost is $25 per person; cadets are FREE as this is a mandatory function for them.
We, unfortunately, have to limit each family to two tickets until Friday, May 31. If you would care for more than 2 tickets, please let the SSC know when you purchase the first two and your name will be placed on a waiting list on a first reserved first sold basis. The Warning Order for this event will be published in the coming weeks.
8. Sqn Year End Trip – Canada’s Wonderland Sunday 16 Jun 19
We are planning a year-end recreational trip to Canada’s Wonderland on Sunday 16 Jun. While the final cost of the trip has not been finalized, a sign up list will be put out shortly to see what interest is in the sqn. The Squadron Support Committee will subsidize this trip. Squadron staff and SSC are conferring on the level of financial support each cadet will receive based on cadet individual participation and the over-all week’s tagging results/cadet participation as well as final cost for the trip.
9. MOUNTIAN ROAD CLOSURE – 15 APRIL – 17 MAY 2019
NOW IN EFFECT!!!
From Monday April 15th and lasting until Friday May 17th, Grimsby Mountain Road has restricted access from Main St West to Ridge Road West. With this restricted access, it is suggested that you use one of the following for travel to and from the MRCC:
- For those coming from Beamsville and live on the East side of Grimsby, it is suggested you take Park Rd. S. to the top of the Mountain to Elm Tree Rd. E. to Mountain Rd. to the MRCC.
- For those coming from the West Side of Grimsby areas West of Casablanca Rd, it is suggested you take Woolverton Rd up the Mountain to Ridge Rd. W. to the MRCC.
- 11 May – Sqn Turkey Shoot
- 12 May – Gliding St. Catharines – 20 Cadets
- 24-26 May – Spring FTX – Military Skills Comp
- 25 May – 50 Point Sail Past
- 01 Jun – Gliding St. Catharines – 20 Cadets
- 01 Jun – Band – 611 ACR – Dunnville
- 08 Jun – Annual Ceremonial Review – Peach King Centre
- 12 Jun – Sr. Cadet CTC Briefing
- 13 Jun – Full Summer Camp Briefing
- 14 Jun – Last Parade Night for 2018/19 trg Year
- 16 Jun – Canada’s Wonderland Trip – Tentative
- 17 Jun – Admin Close out – Supply Exchange Night for CTC Staff Cdts, 3 wk Trenton and 6 wk cadets.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-945-2893.